Melasma/ Facial Pigmentation
Melasma/ Facial Pigmentation
Facial pigmentation refers to the darkening or discoloration of the skin on the face. It can involve both men and women equally, and is a major cause for concern to individuals suffering from facial pigmentation. It can manifest in various forms, colors, and patterns, and is commonly caused by an overproduction or uneven distribution of melanin.
Facial pigmentation is of various types; it can be localised to small areas like in melasma, or be diffuse like in lichen planus pigmentosus.
Some of the common types of facial pigmentation are-
- Freckles and Lentigenes
- Pigmentary demarcation lines
- Lichen planus pigmentosus
- Riehl's melanosis
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH)
- Nevus or birthmarks
Book An Appointment
Signs & Symptoms
All types of facial pigmentation have similar signs and symptoms, but vary in the type of colour, area of involvement and severity of pigment deposition
Facial pigmentation can be influenced by various factors, such as-
- Hormonal changes, like pregnancy
- Sun exposure
- Certain skin types
- Certain medical conditions
- Certain medicines
- Avoid direct sunlight during peak hours (usually between 10 am and 4 pm)
- Wear protective clothing, including loose, light coloured clothes with long sleeves, broad hats, and sunglasses with UV protection
- Apply broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF >50 before going out
- Daily application of sunscreen, even if indoors
- Use umbrellas, scarfs while going out
- Do not keep using OTC creams for pigmentation, as most of it contains steroids
At Skinfinity Derma, we offer a wide range of treatment options to help you manage facial pigmentation effectively. Our team of dermatologists will work with you to create a treatment plan.
Some of the most common treatments we offer for include:
- Topical medications- These are creams and lotions which work on reducing meanin deposition, reduce melanocyte activity, reduce tyrosinase activity. An individual compound or a combination of both may be prescribed depending on the severity. These also include prescribing a broad-spectrum, physical and chemical sunscreen, with SPF>50, based on your skin type.
- Oral medications- There are tablets to reduce the melanin depisition in body, increase anti-oxidant activity and make skin healthier. Tablets for any systemic condition, if present can also be given.
- Chemical Peel treatment- A wide array of peels can be used to reduce the pigment deposited on your face. Sequential or combination peeling can also be done.
- Medi-facials- Steps of each medifacial at Skinfinity Derma is curated to work on making the skin healthier, reducing any sensitivity if present, and to reduce the pigment already deposited in skin. These medi-facials could vary from hydrafacial, to photofacial, to advanced treatments like dermaradiance, and BB glow facial.
- Laser treatments- Depending on the cause of pigmentation, various laser technologies can be used to improve the pigmentation.
- Dermalight treatment- This is a unique one-time treatment, done at Skinfinity Derma to remove the pigment from various depths, and give a lighter tone to your face.
- IV Drips- Intravenous drips containing various actives, like glutathione are delivered into the body, to give improvement in not just facial pigmentation, but also in full body lightening.